Online Poker Tournament Strategy
Poker Tournament Strategy
If you are an amateur poker player or mainly a cash game player and need to quickly improve your online poker tournament skills, you’ve come to the right place. Take a look at our poker guide for some quick tips to help improve your online poker tournament play. Remember that these poker tips should only form a guideline and you should strive to develop your own poker tournament playing style over time. In a typical online poker tournament you will be up against rank beginner and poker pros, so there can obviously be no perfect or universal strategy which applies to any poker situation.
Basic Tournament Poker Tips
Here are a five solid hints and tips to get you started.
- Be patient. Do not play a poker hand you shouldn’t be playing simply because you are bored.
- Bluff less. Never try to bluff a short-stacked player who is pot-committed. Do not try bluff with more than one person still in the hand.
- Steal cautiously. Do not try to steal the blinds with a trash hand, especially in an early position.
- Be alert. Try to watch every hand that is played, even the hands you fold pre-flop. You will pick up some invaluable information about the playing styles of your opponents. Keep notes on opponents – you might see them again at a later stage of the tournament.
- Fold early. If you don’t hit the flop, avoid shoving money into a pot you have almost no chance of winning. Your chips are limited and are too valuable to waste on long-shot draws.
Where to find the Best Online Poker Tournaments
We recommend William Hill Poker*, which offers a wide variety of multi-table and sit-and-go tournaments for everyone from the micro limit beginners to the high stakes rollers. Games on offer are 7 Card Stud, Texas Hold’em, Omaha and Omaha HL to name a few. Poker tournaments include:
- Free rolls
- Guaranteed Money
- Satellite Tournaments
- Hourly and Weekly Competitions
- MPP (My Player Points) Entry Tournaments
- Head Hunters